Author Topic: Trinkets  (Read 28290 times)

Fox

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
Trinkets
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:28 pm »
Stay up to date read the wiki: http://wiki.rtdgaming.com/wiki/Trinket

Overview:
Trinkets have random bonuses such as increased mining chance, better luck on rolling, attack speed increase, and more. A player can only have 1 active trinket equipped and each trinket lasts 7 days once equipped.

Trinket Cost:
Item Cost
Trinket
500 Credits
Gift/Trade Trinket to player 50 Credits Fee + Price to Sell

Trinket Ratings:
Tier Chance
Low 50%
Medium 30%
High 15%
Maximum 5%

Trinket Tiers:
Rarity Chance
Common 50%
Uncommon 30%
Rare 15%
Unusual 5%
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:12:06 am by Fox »

mariomario42

• Game Admins
  • RTD Addict Member
  • Then the fright began!
Re: Trinkets
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51:07 pm »
I do like this idea to spend credits.

Instead of having to wait to level up through dice to become more powerful, you can do this.

Costs might need a bit of work unless they're kinda powerful, but I think that should be avoided, especially if more than 1 can be used at the same time. 

Jarrett000

• Game Admins
  • RTD Addict Member
  • Demopan?
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »
Sounds interesting, but I have some clarification questions.

each trinket lasts 24 hours.
Does this mean I get one, play for a few hours, come back 2 days later, and it's gone? Or does it mean 24 hours of playing on the server? I assume you mean the first one, but I just want to make sure.
special bonuses that include attack speed increase, damage resistance, damage bonus vs <class>, and more.
How big do you plan to make these bonuses? A few percentages (5%), or like a huge chunk (25%)?
A player can only have 1 active trinket equipped and each trinket lasts 24 hours. They can also be traded.
Can we obtain more then one, but just have 1 equipped, and try to sell/trade off our extras we don't want/need?

And this is sort of an idea to just throw out there: Can there be a very small chance to find these in presents?

Jarrett lives on the forums. We keep him alive with cookies and memes.

Proud Administrator of RTDGaming since 4/8/11.

Fox

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:15:10 pm »
For the moment let's not involve numbers and just use relative terms. So the trinkets can range from Low, Medium, High, Very High, Ultra, Maximum (lulz direct rip from SK). The amount of time they will last still needs to be modified, I just used 24hrs as an example. For the moment I'd say a player can hold up to 20 trinkets (for database sake) but only have one of those equipped at any time. The trinkets won't expire until they are equipped. When trinkets expire they will not be deleted but instead must be extended to be used. There might be a really, really small chance to find trinkets in presents.

There will be some type of Trinket Bazaar where you will be able to sell your trinkets but this won't be an Auction House where you'll be bidding on stuff. This also raises some questions on how to handle trinket expiration times. You will also have the option of direct trading your trinket with players on the server.

Maximo

• Game Admins
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:24:07 pm »
I think this has the potential to both be very very fun and very very unbalancing - we don't want to turn into a Warcraft 3 server, you know?

I think the trinket idea is good, but they should stay low - 10% bonuses at most - and since they are persistent through death and other circumstances should cost a ridonkulous amount of credits. I mean like.. 1,000 to make, or something. I know 500 sounds like a lot to some people, but with all the credit traders out there it's not hard to get that much. :P

Another thing is that I don't think they should be able to be extended, just bought again.

Also when it comes to selling them, yeah, don't make them giftable or anything, just make them refundable for a percentage of what you paid depending on how long you've had it. Sell it within the hour of buying it because you don't like it, get 90% of your credits back, or something. I feel that if we suddenly had giftable trinkets people could sell things could get a lot more.. Mercantile around here. Maybe in a good way, maybe in a bad way, but just.. I don't know. Let's keep this place not serious!

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:30:19 pm »
Wow this sounds awesome.

Gibus-Toting Irishman

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:38:39 pm »
Remember that since 100 credits sometimes even more = 1 weapon, a 500 cred trinket costs almost a reclaimed for just a day of effect.
Accused of hacking by Avenger, CRUNCH TIME, Phil Ken Sebben, Epic Fail Guy, and Psyclobin (sp?).

2fort is like World Cup soccer; nothing ever happens. - [ATG] Derp

Formerly known as Bottle of Scrumpy.

Maximo

• Game Admins
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »
I've said this before, but I feel it needs saying on this thread: The reason I like this server is that despite having such a deep and long-term progression system, the fact that I have 2200 more dice than a brand new player doesn't mean that i'm any stronger in a 1:1 fight - it just means i'm more familiar with the rolls. More dice does not equal more power under normal circumstances (Unlike WC3 servers and similar systems).

I'm just a little scared that trinkets will change that and discourage newer players, and force me to buy trinkets just to stay competetive.

Gibus-Toting Irishman

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 04:36:28 pm »
I've said this before, but I feel it needs saying on this thread: The reason I like this server is that despite having such a deep and long-term progression system, the fact that I have 2200 more dice than a brand new player doesn't mean that i'm any stronger in a 1:1 fight - it just means i'm more familiar with the rolls. More dice does not equal more power under normal circumstances (Unlike WC3 servers and similar systems).

I'm just a little scared that trinkets will change that and discourage newer players, and force me to buy trinkets just to stay competetive.

TBH I don't see trinkets becoming a must-have because so few players will have the credits available to sustain permanent trinkets or the will to sell off countless items for them. Though I completely disagree with you about dice; dice are unbalanced as they are and I have a significant advantage over a new player with my seven thousand dice (less than that actually). TF2 is not about KPD but I get around a 2.40 KPD here while I get around a 1.80 KPD on another server which I frequent albeit far less frequently than this one. I think a large part of that difference is because of dice, and I would very much like to see dice massively nerfed. I started a thread a few months back about that but there was little interest beyond the first idea.

Getting back to trinkets though, I think those that do have the buy-power to sustain an infinite trinket will have an even larger advantage over the trinket-poor masses especially since these players are likely to be regulars and dice giants anyway. However I still think it's a really cool idea.

What I would suggest is allowing the purchase of an hour-long trinket for 100 (150 or 200 maybe?) creds that cannot be renewed in addition to the 500 cred sustainable one to allow poorer players to compete better especially as most people don't play much longer than an hour a day anyway.
Accused of hacking by Avenger, CRUNCH TIME, Phil Ken Sebben, Epic Fail Guy, and Psyclobin (sp?).

Maximo

• Game Admins
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »
But Gibus, dice have no direct effect on combat beyond a few seconds of crits when you get one. All they do is give you perks for rolls and give you invincibility after the round ends. You may be better than you are on other servers because we have certain rolls that upset situations that should have no upset (1v6 people on a point, 1 wins), but that doesn't mean the dice are helping you - just your knowledge of what rolls to use and how to use them.

Gibus-Toting Irishman

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:26:20 pm »
But Gibus, dice have no direct effect on combat beyond a few seconds of crits when you get one. All they do is give you perks for rolls and give you invincibility after the round ends. You may be better than you are on other servers because we have certain rolls that upset situations that should have no upset (1v6 people on a point, 1 wins), but that doesn't mean the dice are helping you - just your knowledge of what rolls to use and how to use them.

Dice help me a ton. A diced out redbull pyro can mean the difference between victory and loss for a team, backpacks give me twice as much things meaning I can survive that much longer, I don't die next to amplifiers, I don't have to run back to spawn for melee only, I can continuously egg people as yoshi, I am screwed over by bad rolls much less and bad presents never, I can roll much more often giving me more opportunity to get rolls which do give me a combat advantage, my crap is useful for forcing teams to health instead of being a minor annoyance, my instaporters can outfit the entire team with armor and are a valid substitute for teleporters due to their range, I think backpack blizzard might have a longer cooldown without dice, I honestly don't remember, and there's a billion other diceperks which have combat applications.

It's the whole that matters; of course just one instaporter perk is not going to put you in a class above a new player. But all of those things above certainly do.

Maximo

• Game Admins
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 05:50:53 pm »
but they still depend on rolls. Get stuck with a bad roll and use up your credit limit and you're.. Gasp.. Only human!

Gibus-Toting Irishman

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02:03 pm »
but they still depend on rolls. Get stuck with a bad roll and use up your credit limit and you're.. Gasp.. Only human!

Yes, but I get rolls much more often and I have a much lesser chance of getting a bad roll.

Maximo

• Game Admins
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 06:04:56 pm »
That doesn't make you invincible!

mariomario42

• Game Admins
  • RTD Addict Member
  • Then the fright began!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:57 pm »
Is the term "Trinket" a direct rip from SK too?

If so, we could call them "badges" or something (cooler).