Author Topic: Trinkets  (Read 22676 times)

FruitSnacks

Re: Trinkets
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 07:28:31 pm »
Is the term "Trinket" a direct rip from SK too?

If so, we could call them "badges" or something (cooler).

trinkets have been around way before sk.

Fox

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 11:46:46 pm »
Considering the active players that have logged on to the server this month there are 272 players (out of 2,387) with over 500 Credits. So only 11% of the player base will be able to afford trinkets which isn't too bad. To earn those 500 credits a player must have been on the server at most 8 hrs 22 mins (could be less considering credits found in presents). So I'd say 100 Credits for a 7 day extension per trinket is reasonable as opposed to 100 Credits per 24hr period.

Trinket Cost:
Item Cost
Trinket
500 Credits
7 Day Trinket Extenstion 100 Credits
Gift/Trade Trinket to player 50 Credits Fee + Price to Sell
The bonuses from trinkets will vary and will consist of 4 tiers: Low, Medium, High, Maximum. I'm still working out the numbers but I expect overall damage bonuses to max out around 10%. Specific class resistance will max out at 15%.

Example:
Trinket Amount of Bonus
Damage Bonus: Low +2%
Damage Bonus: Medium +5%
Damage Bonus: High +8%
Damage Bonus: Maximum +10%
remember these numbers are made up and will be changed once testing begins.

Example 2:
Trinket Amount of Bonus
Dice Miner: Low +2%
Dice Miner: Medium +5%
Dice Miner: High +8%
Dice Miner: Maximum +10%
The Dice Miner Trinket grants additional chance to mine dice. So if a Dice Deposit has a 15% chance to mine and the player has a Medium Dice Miner trinket then they would actually have a 20% chance to successfully mine a dice.

Example 3:
Trinket Amount of Bonus
Lady Luck: Low +2%
Lady Luck: Medium +5%
Lady Luck: High +8%
Lady Lucky: Maximum +10%
 The Lady Lucky Trinket increases the chances for a good roll.

Example 4:
Trinket Amount of Bonus
Unsual Melee: Stun 2s
Unusual Melee: Jaratee 5s
Unusual Melee: Ice 2s
Unusual Melee: Fire -
 The Unusual Melee has a slight chance (10%) of inflicting a status effect

Other Notes:
There will be a time lockout in between equipping trinkets. This lockout will prevent players from rapidly equipping trinkets.More to come...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:59:34 am by Fox »

FruitSnacks

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 11:52:56 pm »
Im liking how they look so far fox : )

perhaps bring back the fire perk with trinkets?

Fire Starter: Low  1%
 Medium 2%
 High 3 %
 Maximum 5%

I'm pretty hype about this lol.

I'm hoping that the Maximum is ultra rare or something?

Fox

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 12:02:56 am »
Chances in obtaining bonuses:
Bonus Chance
Low 85%
Medium 10%
High 4.5%
Maximum 0.5%

There will also be different chances in obtaining trinkets. Like Lady Luck trinkets will have a higher chance of being obtained than a Damage bonus Trinket.

Gibus-Toting Irishman

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 12:05:34 am »
Sounds good! I'm probably going to blow 5000 or so credits on getting some good ones if I'm not insanely lucky and get a max damage bonus right off the bat.
Accused of hacking by Avenger, CRUNCH TIME, Phil Ken Sebben, Epic Fail Guy, and Psyclobin (sp?).

2fort is like World Cup soccer; nothing ever happens. - [ATG] Derp

Formerly known as Bottle of Scrumpy.

Gibus-Toting Irishman

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 12:11:06 am »
Also Fox, it is awesome how much you're still developing.
Accused of hacking by Avenger, CRUNCH TIME, Phil Ken Sebben, Epic Fail Guy, and Psyclobin (sp?).

2fort is like World Cup soccer; nothing ever happens. - [ATG] Derp

Formerly known as Bottle of Scrumpy.

Jarrett000

• Game Admins
  • RTD Addict Member
  • Demopan?
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 12:40:51 am »
Sounds good so far, but the only thing I see that could be a problem in the future is the locked selling price of 50 credits. So a 2% chance extra to mine a die costs the same as an extra 10%? Doesn't sound good to me. The sell menu should work like the gifting credits menu. "selltrinkets" to bring up a list of players, and after a player is picked, you scroll to pick a number. That player will be notified about the trade, and a confirmation message if they choose yes. There's also a quicker way buy typing "selltrinkets ##", then you choose a player, with players whited out that don't have enough credits for what your asking.

- Two cents
Jarrett lives on the forums. We keep him alive with cookies and memes.

Proud Administrator of RTDGaming since 4/8/11.

Mayor McCheese

• "Its a Birthdefect!"
    • mah facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 01:07:52 am »
balance wise, the game teaters on a very fine cliff as it is.  with all the pre-existing mechanics already in play from the rtd mod... i foresee the potential for a great deal of problems. Not so much from the trinkets themselves but  the trinkets combine with rtd... i mean, when the sever switched from a direct dice leveling system to the perk system, im sure the damage increase and reduction were not put back in as perks for a reason.(im assuming)

I dont dislike the idea at all, i dislike the conceptual function.   maybe trinkets that, increase bonuses from presents by a percentage. or +X seconds to a good roll... so on and so forth

now if your dead set on tweaking things like damage there really should be a trade off... ex "10% more damage dealt, 10% more damage taken"....

keep in mind we have a lot of people coming and going from the sever outside of our normal group of players. as it is those of us who have been here on the server a while, have an advantage over these newer players to begin with, due to perks and general knowlege of how to take advantage of the mod... this would just further extend that gap
RTD Gamings Self-Proclaimed Theory Crafter,
And Professional Russian

Fox

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 01:08:33 am »
Oh, I meant to make it have a 50 Credits fee. So if you want to sell/trade your trinket there is a 50 credits fee. the selling of trinkets will be handled by the Trinket Bazaar. The Trinket Bazaar will allow players to post their trinkets for sale for whatever price they wish. But this is getting ahead of ourselves as that would be one of the last systems implemented.

I'm aware of the damage bonuses dilemma but I would like to gather as many ideas and then weed out the bad.

Edit:
Maybe the damage bonus trinkets can only be active if the team is attacking (BLU team). Why? RTD tends to favor the defensive team, compare RTD (http://rtd.gameme.com/maps/tf) versus vanilla TF2 (http://sourceop.gameme.com/maps/tf). In RTD Dustbowl, blue wins 42% of the time while in vanilla they win 56% of the time. Damage modifying trinkets will not apply to red team. Of course this would only pertain to Payload or Capture Point maps as the rest seem to be inline with vanilla win ratios.

Further analysis: http://wiki.rtdgaming.com/wiki/RTD_Vs_Vanilla Over the course of 9 months it appears as though Dustbowl BLU wins have increased in most servers and yet RTD continues to favor RED wins. While trinkets won't drastically change the Win-Ratios on these maps but if anything they will put more pressure on red and make them work a bit harder.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:46:47 am by Fox »

Maximo

• Game Admins
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 03:59:22 am »
i... i'm starting to feel swayed.. arghh.

So you buy a trinket and the UV on it is a random chance? So it's not, like, 500 for a Low trinket and 5000 for a Maximum?

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 09:37:30 am »
What about trinkets that increase the chance of you getting your favorite roll as well as giving that roll a small perk?  Like:

Bombadier trinket:  Increases the chance of rolling any type of bomb and gives you 4 (5,6,7) bombs instead of 3.

bl73

• RTD Noob
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 10:33:27 am »
I think the idea is very interesting.  I think the benefits of the dice/rolls/perks should be more fun and amusing than powerful.  I think the useful/powerful rolls add to the game not because they give someone an advantage, but because of the challenge of figuring out how to make the most of some temporary advantage.  I don't really see how a 2% (or 10%) damage bonus for many hours makes the game more fun for anyone.  The people who are likely to end up with the more powerful trinkets are probably already very good players.

I really like that even if someone stacks powerful rolls, I know that it is temporary and once they die, they'll be back to no advantage.  (Though I think Gibus is absolutely right that having a lot of dice does make a big difference.)  If there had been people with a fixed* gameplay bonus, which is very different from perks that modify rolls and presents, I would have been much less likely to stick around.
   * From the perspective of a new player, a trinket that lasts for hours might as well be permanent.

So here are some ideas I have for trinkets.  I haven't tried to polish/balance them.  The numbers could obviously be adjusted.

• Steal time:  On melee hit, subtract 1 second from the rtd timer and add 1 second to the victims rtd timer.
  • Rolls last 5 seconds longer
  • 5% chance for a double-roll   (rtd timer goes back to 0 immediately after a roll)
  • Double dice earned for mvp
  • Applies some buff-banner-like effect to nearby teammates, such as+2% damage, 2 damage healed per second, or some other benefit.
  • Ability to kill people with more dice than you after the end of a round  (Not very useful, but maybe could be packaged with other useless things to make a fun trinket)
  • +50% damage to spiders, amplifiers, zombies, etc

I love spycheckme's idea of increasing the chance of getting your favorite roll + a perk

Regarding Fox's comment, could the difference in Blu/Red wins be balanced by very slightly lengthening respawn times for Blu on specific maps?  I also think it is easier for Red to make strong defences with rolls/sentries/etc because they don't need to coordinate.  To get through a couple sentries/traps/jarateclouds it typically takes coordination from 4 or more different players/classes.  I'd love to see more rolls like ubercharger or perks/trinkets that encourage teamwork/coordination

Fox

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 10:55:36 am »
I like the % more damage to spiders, zombies, amplifiers, etc.

Jarrett000

• Game Admins
  • RTD Addict Member
  • Demopan?
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 11:02:54 am »
I'm ok with the team (Blu) specific as long as it gets put on the right maps. Ex: Fastlane, Hightower, all 5CP maps, all ctf maps, and all KOTH maps are symmetrical, so anyone winning more is just from which players joined which team. I just hope a bunch of regulars get this specific trinket early on and stacks teams to be able to use it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:24:06 pm by Jarrett000 »
Jarrett lives on the forums. We keep him alive with cookies and memes.

Proud Administrator of RTDGaming since 4/8/11.

Stryder

• Game Admins
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 12:22:18 pm »
Great, finally I can buy something other then Instant kills and Crap :3
This is Stryder's Lair, where he hangs out in between sessions of nuking the server and defending his number one spot. Because he's not human.