Author Topic: Amplifer strategy  (Read 1648 times)

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
Amplifer strategy
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:56:11 pm »

I like buying amplifiers when I'm an engineer and placing them on my dispenser so they can give nearby teammates minicrits, my sentry minicrits, and they can be healed easy by sitting on my dispenser and waking away. 

What do you guys like to do?

Maximo

• Game Admins
Re: Amplifer strategy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:17:25 pm »
Amplifiers are very useful when hidden just out of sight around a corner facing the battlefield, to give your teammates the boost while keeping the equipment safe. in general though, you wanna put them in high-traffic areas, but not necessarily in the heat of combat - not everyone has the perk that reduces the damage you take near amps.

Jarrett000

• Game Admins
  • RTD Addict Member
  • Demopan?
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 11:20:32 pm »
Well I really like the perk because it turns the neutral style of the roll into a flat buff. Before, using it was basically a war of who can damage the fastest, but now it's basically a minicrit machine. Hands down it's in one of my top 10 perks to get.

I also find the amplifier good as an Engi as well. All you have to do is stand by thhe Amplifier and your sentry gets minicrits, like you said. It makes almost impossible to kill without an Uber, very quick stickybomb placement, or a Spy, because you kill so fast.

Just make sure that wherever you place it, it's a good spot for possibly camping. I mean, placing it out in the open is ok, just make sure it's a spot where people possibly pass by through to be able to use it's effects. I mentioned camping because you're staying in the one spot for a while, so you'll continuously be able to use it's effects and not wasting the use of it.

Also, guys, make sure you take a hit at the Amplifier to heal it. The only way to heal them is to melee them, and it only takes a few points of health away per hit, so it's worth it hitting it a time or two just to help it survive.
Jarrett lives on the forums. We keep him alive with cookies and memes.

Proud Administrator of RTDGaming since 4/8/11.

TehMan

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:50:27 pm »
Put crap all over the enemies spawn/a point and then spawn an amplifier in your spawn and stay in your spawn.  Then let it do work :3

Abridge smd.  "I can't I'm too far away"  That's your reason???

Gibus-Toting Irishman

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:14:18 am »
I find that most people have the Amplifier perk, and working around that just limits the Amplifier's effectiveness.

Amplifiers are at their best when placed where enemies can't easily get at them but is also a good defensive position. It's also a good idea to prioritize a good defensive area over proximity to the battlefield; since minicrits remove falloff, Soldiers, Heavies and Demomen (the three most important defensive classes) still get most of the boost.

Amplifiers are one of the most powerful rolls IMO; a well-placed Amplifier can completely shut down an offense. An anecdote: When the halloween event was still going on, Maximo invited me to the server and it was on koth_viaduct_event and we were the only ones there. We had a Pyro duel, and I kept rolling Amplifiers which I placed near the health pack in the long open path to the point on his side. The minicrits plus my shotgun were absolutely devastating.
Accused of hacking by Avenger, CRUNCH TIME, Phil Ken Sebben, Epic Fail Guy, and Psyclobin (sp?).

2fort is like World Cup soccer; nothing ever happens. - [ATG] Derp

Formerly known as Bottle of Scrumpy.

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:12:52 am »
As mentioned, amplifiers will make all rolls deal minicrits. This applies to poop, spiders, traps, afterburn, ect.

Dragnix

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 02:59:28 pm »
Dispensers near amplifiers help a lot, mostly because to keep the amplifier up. Whacking an amplifier will take health off but give it to the amplifier, so a dispenser right next to it always helps.

Halorym

• Shot through the heart, and I'm to blame
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:37:32 pm »
I hide them behind my cover at an angle they still charge me when I am shooting, pick them up often for protection
full charged minicrit arrow is enough to bodyshot kill most classes with an arrow