Author Topic: Pyro: Insert Obligatory WM1 Joke here  (Read 1576 times)

Dragnix

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
Pyro: Insert Obligatory WM1 Joke here
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:20:42 am »
Pyro on RTD can be a lot more tricky then people first realize. Yeah, running at your opponent as a backburner WM1 pyro is a simple idea at first, but RTD makes things easier...and more difficult for a pyro. It's why I like playing the class: he's a lot more complicated then at first glance, especially if you play him right.

On RTD, some things to keep in mind for a pyro:

1) Be weary of rolls that will extinguish your opponent.

This especially applies to Degreaser+Ax pyros. There's several rolls that can fuck up that combo if the pyro isn't paying attention. Jarate showers will put out members of the enemy team if they are on fire, avoid at all costs. Ammo regen with jarate/milk will put out members of the other team quickly if they have someone throwing it around. Armor will soak up damage at times and not light the enemy on fire. You need to be aware of the fact that even though you got the fire ignite on your enemy: that may not mean they are ready to go. And that leads to my second point.

2) Pay attention to your surrondings.

The pyro is a class that seems simple, but the way you dominate as a pyro is you control your opponent. You make them move the way you want them to move, you make them fight you on your terms. If you're facing a heavy head on, you're doing it wrong as a normal pyro. Taking a couple of extra seconds to run around, to get him at an angle, waiting to light him up when he's in full range (not at the edge fo the flamethrower), and then hitting him with the Axstinguisher, makes all the difference.

This applies to RTD objects as well, and even more so. Airblasting people into traps like the bear trap, slowcube, spiders make a huge difference, as the person will not only be suffering the effects of your airblast control, but of the pentalies of the traps as well.

Your surrondings are key as a good pyro. If your keeping up with them: you will do well.

3) Trinkets: Consider Quick Strike, Bloodthrister, Scary Taunt, Party Time
These are the main ones you want to look at.

Quick Strike does not apply to flamethrowers, but it applies to one melee weapon in particular: the axtinguisher. It can make a difference in a fight against a heavy.
Bloodthrister is good for those relying on the output of the backburner/flamethrower to kill their opponent, to keep the carnage going.
Scary Taunt is good for dispersing players that you get close to, to allow your teammates to take them out. As a pyro: your job is to get into range to use your primary weapons (without dying), at the same range of the taunt.
Party time: Crits. Pyro Crits are deadly: use them.

4) Godmode, Hulk: You're the go to player
I can't stress this enough. Some of the more power combinations on the server, even the most powerful rollstacks on the server: can be dealt with by the pyro.

Your job as a pyro when a player had godmode is as the same as the uber: Delay. Eat time off the god mode by keeping them up in the air, where they are unable to do anything. You WILL die most likely in these cases: but it's a necessary death. Death in the game isn't necessary a bad thing if it served a purpose: and this is one of them.

Hulks are vulnerable to changes in gravity. A pyro airblasting a Hulk in the air, you'll notice that he is suspended for several seconds. Keeping him in the air with airblasts + setting him on fire will eat through his armor very quickly, and especially if other players are joining in. If a hulk runs at you: don't run away, fight him. Flames aren't the best weapon in the pyro's arsenal: that control with airblast is.

ammoregen/berserker soldiers/demos/crossbow medics will run across problems with a simple purchase of a reflect shield.

5) Take out any spider you see with your melee
Self explanatory. Even the spider will do damage to you if you stand in front of it, but the fact that you don't suffer afterburn makes you a good choice to take it out. See the spiders thread for strategies of taking it out. Primarily, you want to be hitting it with your melee, even if it's the axtinguisher.

More to come in a bit.

Rhia

• Game Admins
    • Mermaid Illustration
Re: Pyro: Insert Obligatory WM1 Joke here
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:36:25 pm »
Scary Taunt is good for dispersing players that you get close to, to allow your teammates to take them out. As a pyro: your job is to get into range to use your primary weapons (without dying), at the same range of the taunt.

Have you run into me in one to many corners lately?

Another note: I see a lot of pyros who dont use the secondary weapon, EVER. I.E Shotgun, Flaregun.. etc. It is extremely handy ESPECIALLY if you get Jarate bullets, or flavoured damage. There is nothing more useful then prepping an enemy for crits before you get to them. A lot of the time if you are running at an enemy on fire and they are running away they can get out of your range easily, a few shots from an accurate shotgun will aid you.

Notes to learn as a Pyro from a Corgi:
1: Attack from the side
2: Bite ankles.. I mean, attack effectively.
3: Even though many other classes are larger, make them go in the direction you want them to go.
4: RUN!

Dragnix

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
Re: Pyro: Insert Obligatory WM1 Joke here
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 03:37:31 pm »

Have you run into me in one to many corners lately?

Another note: I see a lot of pyros who dont use the secondary weapon, EVER. I.E Shotgun, Flaregun.. etc. It is extremely handy ESPECIALLY if you get Jarate bullets, or flavoured damage. There is nothing more useful then prepping an enemy for crits before you get to them. A lot of the time if you are running at an enemy on fire and they are running away they can get out of your range easily, a few shots from an accurate shotgun will aid you.

Notes to learn as a Pyro from a Corgi:
1: Attack from the side
2: Bite ankles.. I mean, attack effectively.
3: Even though many other classes are larger, make them go in the direction you want them to go.
4: RUN!

I probably would have never suggested it if I hadn't seen you effectively use it.

The shotgun part is good advice, but for me, I use the flare gun (the guarenteed crit when enemy is on fire is what sells me on it, and I'm pretty accurate with the gun...) Flare guns rate of fire is just not up for jarate/fire bullets to be extremely effective. Shotgun/reserve shooter: heck yes.

General Pyro advice: do NOT underestimate the use of the flare gun, and the puff and sting tactic. I became a hell of a lot better pyro when I started doing it, and heck, I'll do it a lot of times even without using the axtinguisher. Scouts will go down very quickly if you're accurate. I know the reserve shooter opens up some opportunities with the pyro, but it just doesn't have the same effectiveness as that guarenteed crit flare: it's deadly as hell.

6) Hold onto accelerators for surprise assaults.

Nothing like a pyro flying at full speed with a flamethrower to make a crowd go nuts. Accelerators, especially well placed ones, can get the pyro in to flanking positions very quickly.

First thing to do though: Put the accelerator in a reusable position, if possible.

7) Guard Bombs.

Not many people think to do this, but this is general advice.

Bombs aren't as much of a threat when they are left unattended, due to the fact that many people have the perk to disarm them. But one thing to note: while you may not be able to stop the bomb if th eperson is right next to it...you can stop them from getting at it. Bombs are dangerous, and can be used as area denial: if they make a run for the bomb, airblast them away.

8) Class Immunity: Heavies.

When class immunity is rolled, there's always a question of, "hm, who should i get protection from?" Obviously, it'll depend on the server, but for pyros an answer is more often then not heavies. Why?

Scout: Alright if they are giving you horrible problems.
Soldier: Reflect
Pyro: No ability to catch on fire
Demoman: Reflect
Heavy: ___
Engineer: Ok depending on the situation, but the thing is that if your getting class immunity from engineers, it's because of sentries, and if they are giving that much of a problem, you should be switching to soldier/demo/heavy/spy
medic: unless someone's dominating you no
sniper: You're usually a low priority target (snipers > medics > heavies > Engineers (depending on off/def) > soldiers/demo > rest)
spy: Really?

Generally, it's easier to be immune from heavies as a pyro. It just is.

9) Jetpack: Taking Different paths

The idea of jetpack is mostly misused. It's rarely effective in battle. What the jetpack does for the pyro is simple: gives him the ability to take an alternate path to surprise the enemy. People misuse it alot: don't be one of them.