Author Topic: Scout RTD strategies: Sugar-highs  (Read 1658 times)

Dragnix

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
Scout RTD strategies: Sugar-highs
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »
Playing on RTD as a scout can be fun but nerve wracking at the same time. There's several rolls that play to the Scouts strengths on RTD, but the lack of health for the scout gives him problems with several of the rolls in the game. I'm going to start with basic weaponry talk, then go into more specific strategies as I go along.

Primary Weapon:

The scattergun is the primary bread n butter of the scout, and it plays well with jarate bullets/fire bullets, etc. It's good in most situations, and if you're used to it, its always a good weapon to use on the RTD server.

The shortstop comes into play with roll stacking combos on the scout, specifically with scout jumps. It's the primary weapon that allows constant harassment from the air better then any other on this list due to it's increased range.

The force a nature, is especially good with ammoregen, but not really that great when compared to other guns here. It takes least advantage of the mod itself.

The soda popper gets several benefits. Hasty charge will allow you to charge quicker, and ammoregen/berserker fires really really quickly with the gun. While the range ain't the greatest, it shouldn't need to be.

Secondaries:

Don't underestimate the pistol. Berserker pistol IS deadly, if you're accurate. You have to watch for ammo on it, but it's a good pick off tool especially with the rolls needed.  The winger is generall viewed as meh.

Bonk is alright, but it won't get you past certain problem rolls such as the slowcube and slicendice. It's a nice distraction, but doesn't really take the mod into account.

Mad Milk may be a good option. The spamming with the ammo regen/extra recharge with hasty charge can give back that needed health that the scout needs, along with the ability to put out fire from the various flame traps that exist (spider, etc.)

CritACola is dangerous. One bad roll encounter and there you go.

Melee:

Fish is always a good option. Balanced. Quick strike helps a lot, yoiu'd be surprised how fast they go down with it. Or combine with melee trinket

Sandman is a consideration, due to it's reloading with ammoregen and hasty charge, for long range harassament. People knows Tom cruise all to well because of this.

Boston Basher, again dangerous. One wrong move, and you're dead with the right roll.

Wrap Assassin doesn't get reloaded via ammoregen, and it doesn't take advantage of any rolls in particular.

Fan of War isn't really affected by the rolls in particular, and can become a problem when needing to use melee against rolls due to the lack of damage + curse effect not being put onto entities (e.g. snorlax).

Atomizer gives you options to work with, but one thing to note is that I don't know how it stacks with scout jumps (need to check it out). It's a good option if you don't use melee at all.

Fire melee trinket can work with the fire stick (I forget the name), but it's only going to work 30% of the time.

Trinkets to consider:

• Quick Strike: The scattergun is fast, and quick strike just adds to it. Rapid damage in succession plays to his strengths well.
  • Hasty Charge: Several weapons are affected by hasty charge in a lot of ways. Mad milk, sandman, and soda popper are the ones that come in mind.

Mid level trinkets
  • Party Time: More presents = More crits = More chaos. Scout takes advantage of it well.
  • Heavy Hitter: Meh, more damage is nice, especially considering it's specifically for blue, which you're running scouts more on offense.

Trinkets to NOT consider
  • Bloodthrister: Due to his low starting health, the scout gets less benefit then anyone else in this category. Generally, imo, it's better to equip something else then to use this.
  • Vertigo/Super Jump: Scout already has good mobility, and it's sorta pointless for the scout in my opinion. He doesn't need the improved escape options, he has it already
  • Lady Luck: Just not a fan....

Roll Strategies

Ammo Regen: One of the best rolls a scout can get, as he has a lot of ways of using it. Because of the quick reload for the next bullet, ForceANature/Soda Popper takes care of this wonderfully, even without berserker. Granted, it combines with berserker well to get that effect. Very useful in conjuction with scout jumps + mad milk + sandman. Makes it so the scout only really has to come down for health if he needs it, and the shortstop can help with that (in conjuction with mad milk). Scattergun works here too, but doesn't get as much of a benefit as the above ones.

Amplifier: Be weary around amplifiers. Amplifier are more meant for defense/strategic positions, and while the scout takes advantage of them, most likely the useful ness of them will be hindered by your need to be up close and personal. Switch to your pistol if you're trying to use it, and be weary if you don't have the perk to not take minicrits around it. It'll add up for you very, very quickly.

Backpack: Look for these. You are the fastest person on your team, and even if you don't actually want to use it, your team definitely can. One of the great things is that you can bring a backpack full of ammo to an engy, or if you need the health, keep it for yourself. Remember though, because of your low health, one good shot could take you out, and give that backpack to the other team. If the backpack gets low on health, hand it off to a class that can use it better then you.

Berserker: Scout takes good advantage of this, as with the ammo regen perk. Don't underestimate the pistol when you have this, the quick succession shots with the pistol can add up really quickly, and take light classes out almost instantly.

Crouch Invisibility: Be weary of the fact that you think your safe if you're using the shortstop. It's easy to see the muzzle flash of it (I really don't remember if the scatterguns do it), and be weary of if you're using the soda popper with any invisibility. All of a sudden, you may have the crit glow on you and you don't realize it, and then you're spotted.

Scout Jumps: Harassment at the max. Between sandman, mad milk, and shortstop, people have seen the effects of scout jumps + a combo of other rolls. Be focused on what weapons your opponents are carrying, because most likely they'll use ones that'll attempt to slow you down. Biggest ones include Natascha, or ones  that do more damage to you in the air like Reserve Shooter. Be worried about sentries if you enter areas that you haven't explored yet, especially mini sentries with their ability to come up fast.

Toxic: Use bonk if you have it. If you don't, be conservative. While yes, you are fast, and can deal a lot of damage quickly, a lot of scouts rush in and get killed with Toxic as they straight charge into battle.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:01:34 pm by Dragnix »

Gibus-Toting Irishman

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
Re: Scout RTD strategies: Sugar-highs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:17:49 pm »
Bonk is alright, but it won't get you past certain problem rolls such as the slowcube and slicendice. It's a nice distraction, but doesn't really take the mod into account.

Actually (this is only in theory because I always use the pistol) the Bonk seems to work quite well with the mod. You can tank past droppables like the Spider and the Slice-'n'-Dice, and also you get full resistance to instant kills and other less powerful damage-y rolls.

Melee:

The Atomizer is always the best option in pretty much every scenario.

• Bloodthrister: Due to his low starting health, the scout gets less benefit then anyone else in this category. Generally, imo, it's better to equip something else then to use this.

I dunno, you're right that the Bloodthirster isn't as good with the Scout as it is with other classes, it still restores a sizable chunk and because the Scout often gets kills in rapid succession you can get a lot of overheal too. Also the Bloodthirster is simply an amazing trinket, so even on a class that it isn't the best with it's still a viable option IMO.
Accused of hacking by Avenger, CRUNCH TIME, Phil Ken Sebben, Epic Fail Guy, and Psyclobin (sp?).

2fort is like World Cup soccer; nothing ever happens. - [ATG] Derp

Formerly known as Bottle of Scrumpy.

Rick

• GHAST BLASTED!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:28:11 pm »
I second Gibus' opinions, except for Atomizer. Sandman/BB are better in a lot of situations, including: When you're behind enemy lines, when there's a heavy far away,  and when you have ammoregen.

Gibus-Toting Irishman

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:49:26 pm »
I second Gibus' opinions, except for Atomizer. Sandman/BB are better in a lot of situations, including: When you're behind enemy lines, when there's a heavy far away,  and when you have ammoregen.

You're right about the Sandman, some people are really good with it and it can do a lot of damage. And ammo regen of course. Stuns are really nice.

I don't think the Boston Basher is very useful though, it's too high risk for not much reward. A shot from your primary or a volley from your pistol probably would do more damage anyway.
Accused of hacking by Avenger, CRUNCH TIME, Phil Ken Sebben, Epic Fail Guy, and Psyclobin (sp?).

2fort is like World Cup soccer; nothing ever happens. - [ATG] Derp

Formerly known as Bottle of Scrumpy.

Rick

• GHAST BLASTED!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:36 pm »
I guess I might just be impressed with it from the times I was CaC/BB'd from behind.