Author Topic: Punching Dummy:the annoying truth  (Read 1320 times)

• I have visited from a time, where TF2 isn't hats
Punching Dummy:the annoying truth
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:27:12 pm »
A good location for a punching dummy is either a narrow hallway or a corner that many people go through, because you are guaranteed to deal damage, and if you have the perk, if you hold them close to the dummy, it will constantly hit them until they die

Uploaded with

Re: Punching Dummy:the annoying truth
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:44:19 pm »
Informative post is very informative. 

So I shouldnt out them in the middle of the map?

Abridge smd.  "I can't I'm too far away"  That's your reason???

• Game Admins
  • RTD Junkie Member
Re: Punching Dummy:the annoying truth
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:24:10 am »
Let's take it a step further:

• Spy use of punching dummies: Punching dummies are natural area denial entities, especially with the stun perk. One of the nice things about being a spy on rtd is the ability to drop some entities/rolls without having to decloak. Placing a punching dummy near an enemy sentry/engineer nest keeps the engineer away from being able to repair his stuff, allowing your teqam time to take it down. 
  • Hook up with the Groovitron: Forcing a player into the punching dummy is one of the harder things to do, but one easier way of doing it is to have the groovitron played near the punching dummy. Forcing the enemy to be hit by it while bouncing up/down.
  • Don't underestimate the range of the punch: Punching dummies have deceptive range. You think you're not close enough to be hit by them, and then all of a sudden, you're stunned. That's because the reach of the punching dummy is further then it appears. Rambo's suggestion works slightly, but the problem with it is that it's a one time deal. People learn where it is, and avoid it. However, placing a punching dummy outside the entrance of a room, just slightly in front of the door for example, can give an impression that there's a path around the punching dummy where there isn't one. It may cause players to try multiple times thinking they can squeeze through, when they can't.  Use that to your advantage.
  • Element of surprise: Now in rambo's case, that works, but like I said, it loses effectiveness if fallen into once. However, punching dummies can be repickedup, and redeployed in other locatoins to keep the surprise going. 
  • Weakness of the punching dummy: A punching dummy will only hit what's in front of him, and to the side of him. However, going behind a punching dummy, it won't hit you. That's the easiest way to take out an opposing punching dummy, even with melee.
  • Wait, how the hell did I get stunned?: Please note with punching dummies that he punches with such force, he can punch through walls. A prime example of a point where a punching dummy can do a lot of harm is the little cabin on the left as blue comes out of Dustbowl 2. placing a punching dummy just in the upper door of the room, on the left side, can punch enemies that are attempting to take the small left path. It basically locks down that path at that point, with no way of taking out the punching dummy.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:36:11 am by Dragnix »