Author Topic: FAQ: Server populating and keeping the server "alive"  (Read 1686 times)

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
FAQ: Server populating and keeping the server "alive"
« on: January 24, 2013, 03:56:15 pm »
After monitoring the server and keeping track of posts and trends I think I can type a little FAQ guide on how to keep the server active and alive.

Q:  I wanna play RTD but the server is dead!  Its completely empty!  What gives?

A:  This is the million dollar question and it doesn't have one single answer.  I'll break it down to what I've noticed:
- People live in different parts of North America (and other countries) and aren't home from work or will be going to bed soon when you want to play.
- People are playing other games like new stuff that came out or other multiplayer games (borderlands, Civilization, Payday the heist, ect).
- People want to play RTD, but won't join if there isn't anyone on the server.

Q:  Okay so how do I get people to play? 

A: Easiest way:  Invite people; ask them nicely to come join you.  Having more friends makes this easier of course.  And having lots of people who are regulars on RTD on your friends list helps out a lot.  If you're a newer player; just add some people next time or add a few admins.  I guarantee people will want to play RTD; they just noticed no ones on so they didn't feel like wasting time.  Even if only a few people join; I guarantee it'll snowball with new players joining and other people who aren't even on your friends list.  You can join the RTD group too and  make announcements or add people to your friends list.

Also I'm trying to work on more unique events that are fun to try to get people to play again as well as add new maps.

Q:  Is it okay if I idle for credits when no one is on?

A:  Yes of course.  You'll get more credits per second until more people join.  It might help gather some more people to play as well.

Q:  What should I avoid doing that chases people away?

A:  Everyone is different and reacts differently.  A few things I have noticed that people dislike.
-  New maps that take forever to download (can't help this one, this conflicts with the next point).
-  Playing the same maps all the time / maps they dislike.
-  Team stacking, roll stacking, ect.  Loosing a lot with no chance to win.
-  People not used to RTD getting no instructions or help and hating the mod before giving it a chance.  Happens a lot if the point above occurs. 
-  People think its a pay to win server, will blacklist it.
-  Being berated or insulted by people.  Annoying micspam.
-  Hackers (don't really have this problem).
-  Admin Aboose (I'm guilty of this as well).
-  Empty server.

Obviously we can't please everyone but there are things you can do to prevent people from running away right away.  You can help explain rolls, how the mod works.  Maybe show some new players some tricks?  Play a different class you aren't as good as?  Tone it down on the roll buying / using crazy rolls that aren't the norm for tf2.

Mario said: When only a few people are on, avoid playing certain classes like heavy, huntsman on melee maps, or pocket medic. With less than 6 people, your gamestats will not be recorded anyway, so just have fun until more people join. Go fishscoot or something.

Making a bind to explain things is very easy.  Jarrett has a bunch of different binds explaining how everything works.  Remember you were a new player at one point too.  Show them some courtesy okay?

Q: I don't feel like playing right now but I want to play later and the server is dead.  What should I do?

A: The best time (as of this writing) to play is between 6pm - 10pm est I've noticed.  If you can get on earlier; you could populate the server as much as you can and it should snowball for later.  You could take a break in between for dinner and return to it being full.

Q:  Why do you care?  You haven't played much lately.

A:  This is true; I've been busy with other games.  But I still enjoy playing TF2 and I would like to be able to play on my favorite server from time to time.  I think we need some "fresh blood" as well on the server.  We've gone through a lot of people these few years and we need more people to contribute to the server whether it be by donating, coding, being an admin or anything else.  Funds are especially important.  No money = no server.  And we aren't stooping to "pay to win" shenanigans like other servers do (Jiggly's funhouse, saganns, ect).  You get credits for donating that HELP but won't make you more powerful than the next person.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:03:13 pm by Spycheckme! »

mariomario42

• Game Admins
  • RTD Addict Member
  • Then the fright began!
Re: FAQ: Server populating and keeping the server "alive"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 04:59:28 pm »
For the avoiding to scare people away, you should add:

When only a few people are on, avoid playing certain classes like heavy, huntsman on melee maps, or pocket medic. With less than 6 people, your gamestats will not be recorded anyway, so just have fun until more people join. Go fishscoot or something.

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:07:38 pm »
Good idea I added that.  I'm not trying to tell you guys how to play and certainly I don't want to ban people for just playing on RTD.  But if it starts becoming an issue where no one will play; I need to do something.  Just keep that in mind.

If the server is completely packed with people; anything goes.

Rhia

• Game Admins
    • Mermaid Illustration
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:38:59 pm »
It's lame. Because of work, I have to be in bed by 9pm EST. That means with a lot of west coast friends, its 6pm there. Oh the lameness.