Author Topic: RTD seeding  (Read 5806 times)

absoluteparanoia

RTD seeding
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:46 pm »
It's clear that the increased credit earning rate isn't filling the server.  In fact, only regulars even know about it (there's no announcement for randoms). 

I propose that when the server has 6 or less people, that the server spawns X number of dice every 5 minutes.  It can be like a game of hide and seek for people who are by themselves on the server.

Alternative.  One dice spawns, and will expire in say 2 minutes and respawn elsewhere.  This would be continuous.   

Most importantly, the server needs a timer or announcement to all players that it is in "seed" mode.
That's Numberwang!

Jarrett000

• Game Admins
  • RTD Addict Member
  • Demopan?
    • Steam Profile
Re: RTD seeding
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:27:25 pm »
There used to be an old thread about this, but it generally irradiated with negativity and argueing, so I won't link to the old thread like I usually do when a new one with a similar topic pops up.

Generally the idea was shot down. While some anti-idea points had little backbone to the arguement due to emotions partially taking over the substance of the writing, the overall consensus was a no due to the manipulability of the feature with farming, and the fact that it's already pretty easy to gain dice.

However, times have changed. With the server being dead besides mass invites and migrations, I wouldn't be surprised if views have changed, and people would be more accepting of the idea so the server can live once more. Like I said, the server isn't populated much; it was populated for a decent chunk of time last night due to a mass migration for unboxing and give-aways, but otherwise I haven't seen it live much. This might help a little, adding up with some of the other ideas that have been tossed around recently (an example would be the advertising sprays).
Jarrett lives on the forums. We keep him alive with cookies and memes.

Proud Administrator of RTDGaming since 4/8/11.

absoluteparanoia

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:07:44 am »
I don't see how anyone could complain at this point.  The server is on life support.

It's to the point where the server is empty 99% of the time.  I now play fairly often on a server that has a dedicated seed mode that gives donor-like benefits to seed players every 5 minutes.  And you know what?  The least number of people I've seen on the server ever (mid week mid day) was 8 or so (out of 24).

I welcome farming at this point if it keeps the server filled.  At this point all regulars have several thousand dice, and new players have a couple dozen.  Let them catch up?  In particular if I join the server and I'm spamming invites, I'd like something fun to do aside from riding a cart... and hide-and-seek with spawning dice could keep me entertained.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:10:18 am by absoluteparanoia »
That's Numberwang!

absoluteparanoia

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:09:23 am »
The other thing that the other server does, which I quite like and fits the RTD theme, is a raffle. 

At 1 PM, 5 PM, and 9 PM everyone is given a random raffle ticket number... and one lucky winner gets loyalty points (on RTD this could be that one lucky winner gets 2 talent points).

P.S. Here's the link to the loyalty program on the server I play on:  http://www.drunkenbombers.com/cmps_index.php?pageid=loyalty_info&tabid=363.  Basically points are spent on unusual effects or server-side paint.  But it would work just as well with perks for RTD.

How it works

You earn points by killing, assisting and time played. The first 8 human players to connect to any server receive a x3 Seeder Bonus for their entire session. 10 kills/assists will equal 3 points instead of one. The exception to this is the time, time still accumulates at a rate of 1 point per 10 minutes to prevent abuse.

Loyalty Bundles

Some of our servers feature what is known as Loyalty Bundles. Every round, there is a 10% chance for a Loyalty Bundle to appear. These look like little bundles of money and they appear in random locations in the map. Whoever finds them earns 25 Loyalty Points. These points will show up in the Bonus Points field.

Raffles

We run raffles three times a day on all of our game servers. These raffles run at 1PM EST, 5PM EST and 9PM EST. The winner of these raffles will receive 100 Loyalty Points.

Public Steam Group

Players who join our Public Steam Group will receive 100 Loyalty Points the next time they connect to our servers (After joining the Group).

Buying and Equipping

Type !benefits in to the chat area and a menu will appear. From here, you can choose the Paint Shop or the Effects Shop. After you've purchased an item you must equip it in order to use it. Type !benefits again and select the Select Benefits option. From here, you can choose your purchased items and equip them. After equipping an Unusual Effect or Paint you must swap classes before it is applied.

We could even do what this server does, and make perks expire after a month (or two).  If you want your RTD perks, you have to remain a regular player.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:17:03 am by absoluteparanoia »
That's Numberwang!

Majicaster2

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:05:10 am »
Hmm...I am fine with the seeding. I haven't played TF2 for such a long time because the only server that I normally play on is RTD. Ever since it went down, I hardly ever play anymore. Heck, I hardly even trade. If anything, I just play some League or something else.

Anyways, I would agree with few dice every so often. I don't really mind people catching up. Besides, we need some publicity. Is there any way that we can be on a TF2 server ranking site or something to make us more known?

Rick

• GHAST BLASTED!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 05:00:22 am »
Someone could make a reddit post on r/tf2 or some related subreddits.

absoluteparanoia

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:47:23 am »
Someone could make a reddit post on r/tf2 or some related subreddits.

Yeah, but we'd need something fun to advertise... like a video of the ridiculousness that our brand of RTD.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:49:01 am by absoluteparanoia »
That's Numberwang!

Rick

• GHAST BLASTED!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:27:03 pm »
Yeah. Although, if nobody is willing or able to make that kind of effort then a text-post has worked for other servers. If a video is made, in my opinion the coolest-looking things about RTD are Yoshi, the spiders, super jump, scary taunt and hasty charge (on sniper) trinkets, bear traps, and bombs.

Majicaster2

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 12:25:46 am »
If anything, we could do a montage of everything.

Abridge

• Roll Stacker #1 AKA The Pumpkin Man
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:29:29 am »
You guys could just play on the server instead lol, I'm tired of waiting for hours just to populate the server so I no longer make any efforts to populate RTD, plus I've found a comfy new server.

I understand the logic behind rewarding new players more, because honestly new players have it pretty shitty on RTD, I've seen one too many a rage quit after rolling something bad.

If you guys want newbies to stick around, who initially stuck out the bs of rtd and stayed for the now non-existent community on the server, then remove the shit that makes it unfair for them.

No naughty presents (these are just unfair)
Temporarily remove bad rolls (Some can be really annoying and piss new people off when they roll them)
If you don't want to remove bad rolls then change the initial starting 50/50 chance for a good or bad roll.
Disable fire resistance on elemental resistance, its unfucking fair for pyros and we all know it
Make dice spawn with 6 people instead of 8 required, DICE ARE THE EXP AND REASON PEOPLE PLAY RTD SO MUCH, if a veteran player is on he is going to snag the MVP dice in a population of 6, also make mining dice easier for newbies, starting dice mining chances are pretty shitty until you get the perks or the trinket
Credit allowance, new players given 200 credits to try out buying rolls
Change the default map to upward, its a generally liked and accepted all around map

I know most of these are pretty drastic and would require work, but most of them are reasons I can think of why a newbie would rage quit other than roll stacking (which good admins like Stryder just solve by buying Yoshi and harassing roll stackers, or bad admins who just use the slay command, also like Stryder on a bad day). Honestly none of these would have to be implemented if people just played on the server.

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:22:46 am »
You guys could just play on the server instead lol, I'm tired of waiting for hours just to populate the server so I no longer make any efforts to populate RTD, plus I've found a comfy new server.

Absolutely correct in this.

I understand the logic behind rewarding new players more, because honestly new players have it pretty shitty on RTD, I've seen one too many a rage quit after rolling something bad.

This is why we had all that drama a few months ago with team and roll stackers.  New players won't play and stick around = dead community.  You're now seeing the result of that.  No ones going to want to play on RTD if the server isn't populated.

If you guys want newbies to stick around, who initially stuck out the bs of rtd and stayed for the now non-existent community on the server, then remove the shit that makes it unfair for them.

Temporarily remove bad rolls (Some can be really annoying and piss new people off when they roll them)
If you don't want to remove bad rolls then change the initial starting 50/50 chance for a good or bad roll.
Disable fire resistance on elemental resistance, its unfucking fair for pyros and we all know it
Make dice spawn with 6 people instead of 8 required, DICE ARE THE EXP AND REASON PEOPLE PLAY RTD SO MUCH, if a veteran player is on he is going to snag the MVP dice in a population of 6, also make mining dice easier for newbies, starting dice mining chances are pretty shitty until you get the perks or the trinket
Change the default map to upward, its a generally liked and accepted all around map

These are good suggestions.  The only problem is who is going to change the code or implement them?  If you guys want to change stuff on the server we need more people to volunteer to code. 

I know most of these are pretty drastic and would require work, but most of them are reasons I can think of why a newbie would rage quit other than roll stacking (which good admins like Stryder just solve by buying Yoshi and harassing roll stackers, or bad admins who just use the slay command, also like Stryder on a bad day). Honestly none of these would have to be implemented if people just played on the server.

How is the admin situation?  Do we have enough people to make sure its a fun environment?

absoluteparanoia

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 05:40:38 pm »
I'm willing to learn how to code.  Where would I start?
That's Numberwang!

Rick

• GHAST BLASTED!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 06:23:25 pm »
I agree with everything Abridge says. Also, I'm pretty sure there's an RTD coding section of the forums.

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 05:24:59 pm »
I agree with everything Abridge says. Also, I'm pretty sure there's an RTD coding section of the forums.

http://www.rtdgaming.com/index.php?board=4.0

I honestly don't know much about coding rolls.  I spent an entire weekend adding maps and tweaking that stuff.  Won't be doing that again anytime soon.

aaaandrew

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 02:17:46 am »

Absolutely correct in this.

What happened to events and such you were planning to do? Like make an event for a specific time on a weekend, it'll send a message to all group members. That seems like the easiest thing to do, and i've never seen it yet. I always get WDZ events when I'm on steam

These are good suggestions.  The only problem is who is going to change the code or implement them?  If you guys want to change stuff on the server we need more people to volunteer to code. 

remove bad rolls end of story or make it 50/50 like abridge stated

You should get rid of trinkets in general. A new person that can't afford a trinket will be frustrated when not being able to kill someone that has a scary-taunt - scare and run away & health buff, bloodthirster - sooo overpowered and WE ALL KNOW IT, or even super jump - can jump to a higher point that can't be reached by most classes.
or make them cheaper to buy for anyone. it'll take a new person 8.3 hours just to snag 500 credits. 8.3 hours! that's a lot of hours and that's only if they don't buy random rolls in between. Which I wouldn't encourage to do for a new person. I'd tell them try new things buy them rolls!

I would assume specific things would be easy to recode; just turn off trinkets, find the code for dice spawning and change the value in there.

TBH, i love how you put rainy badwater on, but it should just be a map that can be nominated but not in the regular rotation. that being said any custom map should only be nominate-able and not in regular rotation. reason being, a person browsing servers that doesn't have the map loaded won't want to join; in addition to downloading all the add-ons which we all know takes a while (I believe its 17-18mb). but if it's nominate-able and people nominate it then there are people on the server, so there aren't any worries about seeding the server

I'd learn how to do it if I am told "you can edit stuff," I wouldnt want to learn if I don't have an opportunity to create code.

How is the admin situation?  Do we have enough people to make sure its a fun environment?

Regardless of making it fun or not, There are no admins to be seen when I'm on, out of the 14, only 5 are recognized to be in the Clan, "{A}" signifying it's an RTD{A}) by GameMe stats. I barely see admins on to begin with.
Most of the admins are easterly and no one on the west. There's a giant group of people that still play when the east is sleeping. I recall a time where a ton of bronies joined the server at 12am PST, all because of one person they follow on (tumblr i think) think of those people.....

http://www.rtdgaming.com/index.php?board=4.0

I honestly don't know much about coding rolls.  I spent an entire weekend adding maps and tweaking that stuff.  Won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Regardless of coding more rolls... do we need more rolls at the moment? no, we don't. We currently need more players, we should worry about populating the server first and not coding rolls until we get a consistent player base again.  Veterans may not like how there are no new rolls, but new people will still enjoy these rolls. and those are the people we need at the moment.