Author Topic: Beginner's Guide to RTD  (Read 11438 times)

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
Re: Beginner's Guide to RTD
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 02:42:18 pm »
I really like this thread.  My brain is maliciously eating the prose.

Thank you bud!  I'm glad I can help clarify some things and offer strategies to rolls and whatnot.

Anyways, I just returned from vacation so I'll try to add more this week.  I'm going to be a bit busy with some things but I will be around.  And like I keep asking, strats for some of the other classes would be awesome!  I know the obvious stuff (BY DICE FOR CRIT STICKIES LOLOLOL) but anything more detailed would be nice.

Avenger

• RTD Addict Member
  • The One and Only
    • Epic Box
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 02:58:16 pm »
Well, each person has a different way to play each class, and they all work (within reason). The only things that separates player skill levels are reaction time and judgement.(eg.If I am a soldier and I see a scout rush in through a doorway, I shoot a rocket ahead of him on the floor, and then another one a bit further, and I win. If I am a soldier and I see a scout rush in through a doorway............ Shoot once, miss, dead.) Both of these come through experience, not only in TF2, but in ALL games, no matter whether its a puzzle game or a racing game or another action game. If you just keep playing, you will get better. Compared to other people that you regularly play with, you may seem to stay the same skill level, or even decrease, but that is NOT because you are getting worse. It is only because they are getting an equal amount of experience and practice.

Add that in if you want.
Oh, I'm just too good for my own bad self. Hello Earth. Who's your daddy? Why, yes, I am.

Requiacity

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:57:59 pm »
Well, each person has a different way to play each class, and they all work (within reason). The only things that separates player skill levels are reaction time and judgement.(eg.If I am a soldier and I see a scout rush in through a doorway, I shoot a rocket ahead of him on the floor, and then another one a bit further, and I win. If I am a soldier and I see a scout rush in through a doorway............ Shoot once, miss, dead.) Both of these come through experience, not only in TF2, but in ALL games, no matter whether its a puzzle game or a racing game or another action game. If you just keep playing, you will get better. Compared to other people that you regularly play with, you may seem to stay the same skill level, or even decrease, but that is NOT because you are getting worse. It is only because they are getting an equal amount of experience and practice.

Add that in if you want.

That's more of a general skill tip, not an RTD tip.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Avenger

• RTD Addict Member
  • The One and Only
    • Epic Box
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 11:58:00 am »
The point is, everybody does things in a different way, including RTD. You cannot have a set way to do things, as some people would fail and lose skills. Some people would also get better, but they would be few. RTD depending on your health, your surroundings, your tactics and your speed. Middle classes (medium health (150-200)) can either roll at spawn or near a battle, but I would advise rolling a)depending on your position (order of speed is: Scout; Medic; Pyro, Engineer, Spy, Sniper, Demo; Soldier; Heavy) (,s separate same speeds, ;s separate different speeds) so the higher speed you have, the further to spawn you roll. It is a good idea to always stay near a health kit, incase you do roll 1hp. b)You should always roll with teammates. That way if you get a bad roll, you will not be killed as easily. If you get a good roll, you increase their damage potential.
If you roll a placeable object, you should also place it depending on speeds. If you roll a cage as a scout, you can rush through enemy defenses and place it on a strategic point, forcing enemies to go a longer route and thus helping your team. If you roll it as a heavy, place it on either a strategic point near your location, or on a critical area, such as a capture point. However, if you can get through the enemy defenses as the heavy, either by running or killing them, then it would be a good idea to place it on the strategic location the scout would place it on.
Teamwork is the soul of all TF2 play, and this also applies to RTD. You should always stay in teams unless the enemy rolls instakills or godmode. Every other roll can be dealt with. Toxic is only deadly to a large group if a spy rolls it, but a large group can just spam everywhere and kill the spy. The group can kill anything except bigger groups in their way. In the TF2 I have seen, only certain people stay together. Strangers do not know or trust other strangers, and therefore do not work with them. A heavy medic pair is much more devastating than meeting a heavy and a medic separately.
Oh, I'm just too good for my own bad self. Hello Earth. Who's your daddy? Why, yes, I am.

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 10:51:47 pm »
Added a bit about the demoman

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 11:50:07 am »
Updated with Sniper.

Heavy, Spy, and I want to add a bit more for Demo are left to do.  Any chance I can clean up some of the posts to make it a bit more streamlined?

Czech

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 04:25:33 am »
Hmm, maybe Kilandor can spare 50MB of space for you to make a full website with the info (and more) in this thread.  That way, we can redirect people to rtdgaming.com/help/ when they type !help or !rtdhelp in-game, and it will be more aesthetically pleasing than a thread permits.  Yeah?

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 12:11:45 pm »
That would be a neat Idea Czech.  I hope that people see this thread first when they come to the RTD site to figure out how things work.

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 08:48:10 pm »
Guide is complete xD

Can you guys help spell check or look for errors if you get a chance?

Requiacity

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 01:08:23 am »
Guide is complete xD

Can you guys help spell check or look for errors if you get a chance?

I looked through it, and it seems pretty good.

I would support having a link to this on the front page, so new people coming to the forums don't have to look for it.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 01:19:25 am »
COMING SOON!

Updating the guide to consider the new weapons (as well as completing it!)

Fox

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 05:22:17 am »
*Added "Chance Formula" under: WTF I keep getting bad rolls!  What gives!?

Spycheckme!

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »
Added Heavy and Spy Section.  I'm surprised you guys didn't notice that I didn't put anything there :P

Guide is pretty much finished.

Fox

• Administrator
  • RTD Addict Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 10:56:31 am »
I put up the Guide in the Wiki
http://wiki.rtdgaming.com/wiki/Guide

Once there click Edit and see how I did stuff, this way you can just modify it there.

Avenger

• RTD Addict Member
  • The One and Only
    • Epic Box
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 01:12:45 pm »
Quote from: Guide
Perks? Like rolls?
Sort of. If you collect 20 dice, you gain more time reduction on your rolls per point you get. If you get 40 dice, you have a better chance at rolling.

This needs changing (unless I completely have the perk idea wrong, it is 200 for 2 talent points isn't it?). I would change it myself but I thought I'd better let you guys do it so it looks nice.